Artsy Group meetings are generally held at Elmira Community Center on the “1st Tuesdays” of each month, from 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM.
Tentative Schedule of “Artsy Group” Meetings
We have reserved the following dates for Artsy Group meetings in 2023. Highlighted links will take you to photos from the meetings that have already taken place.
- January 3 – Make a double-sided Log Cabin block (Quilt as you go). Bring your in-process challenge quilts for a preliminary viewing
- February 7 – Explore Beading. Bring completed challenge quilt tops. We will start arranging the show! We will stay and complete the show ribbons that afternoon.
- March 7 – NO MEETING. (We will be hanging quilts for the Quilt Show!)
- April 4 –
- May 2 –
- June 6 –
- July 4 – NO MEETING
- August 1 –
- September 5 –
- October 3 –
- November 7 (at Elon Community Church, Elmira not available due to Election day) –
- December 5 –
2022/3 “Blue Stripe” Challenge
At our April 2022 meeting, we decided to take on a challenge – to make small quilts that “connect” into a surprisingly coordinated display! Two members had seen a similar exhibit and were excited to share the idea with our group. (Here are photos from a fascinating display of small quilts at a recent show of the Capital Quilters Guild.) The main requirement is the use of a 3-inch wide strip of solid blue fabric.
Requirements for “Blue Stripe Challenge”
- Quilt Size finishes at 18″ x 36″
- Subject is your choice!
- Design your quilt to hang in a vertical orientation (with 4″ hanging sleeve at top)
- A 3-inch section of the blue fabric should appear somewhere along both the left and right edge of the quilt, with the blue fabric “running across the quilt in some manner.”
- Bring your project-in-process to our January meeting (or send a picture), so we can start visualizing the layout of the coordinated display.
- Enter your quilt in the 2023 quilt show!
How do I enter the Challenge?
Any APQG (or BCQG) member in good standing in 2022-2023 can participate in the challenge. The Guild is providing the blue fabric, which comes to you as a 9″ x 42″ strip. (Use as much of it as you need.)
[Sorry! Too late to begin the challenge now! Attend the Quilt Show to see them all.]
Other Artsy Notes
To see what else has Artsy Group been doing, enter “Artsy” in the search bar in the margin of any page of our website, and you will see a list of pages and blog posts that mention Artsy activities.
Highlighted links below will take you pictures of those events.
- April 4 – Improvisational Piecing Techniques. (The linked blog post also answers your general questions about “What is Artsy Group?”)
- May 3 – Make a Mini Ornaments (paper pieced)
- September 6 – Reverse Dyeing Experiments #1
- October 4 – Reverse Dyeing Experiments #2
- November 1 – Bias tape applique
- December 6 – Embellishments