Artsy Group meetings are generally held at Elmira Community Center on the “1st Tuesdays” of each month, from 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM.
Our first meeting topic was Improvisational Piecing Techniques. See blog post for pictures from that program. (The blog post also answers your general questions about “What is Artsy Group?”)
2022 “Blue Stripe” Challenge
At our April meeting, we decided to take on a challenge – to make small quilts that “connect” into a surprisingly coordinated display! Two members had seen a similar exhibit and were excited to share the idea with our group. (Here are photos from a fascinating display of small quilts at a recent show of the Capital Quilters Guild.) The main requirement is the use of a 3-inch wide strip of solid blue fabric. The plan is to have our quilts “almost ready” by the Artsy Group’s meeting in January, so we can start to consider how to hang them (as a coordinated display) in our 2023 quilt show next March.
Requirements for “Blue Stripe Challenge”
- Quilt Size finishes at 18″ x 36″
- Subject is your choice!
- Design your quilt to hang in a vertical orientation (with 4″ hanging sleeve at top)
- A 3-inch section of the blue fabric should appear somewhere along both the left and right edge of the quilt, with the blue fabric “running across the quilt in some manner.”
- Bring your project-in-process to our January meeting (or send a picture), so we can start visualizing the layout of the coordinated display.
- Enter your quilt in the 2023 quilt show!
How do I enter the Challenge?
Any APQG (or BCQG) member in good standing in 2022-2023 can participate in the challenge. The Guild is providing the blue fabric, which comes to you as a 9″ x 42″ strip. (Use as much of it as you need.) See Connie or Linda to get your blue strip of fabric. The quilts will be displayed together at the 2023 quilt show (March 8-11).
Tentative Schedule of “Artsy Group” Meetings
Looking forward into the next year, we have reserved the following dates for Artsy Group meetings:
- April 5 – Improvisational Piecing Techniques
- May 3 – Make Mini Ornaments (paper pieced)
- June 7 – Reverse Dyeing (CANCELLED)
- September 6 – Reverse Dyeing Experiments #1
- October 4 – Reverse Dyeing Experiments #2
- November 1 (at Elon Community Church, Elmira not available) –
- December 6 –
- January 3, 2023 – Bring your in-process challenge quilts for a preliminary viewing
- February 7, 2023
- March 14, 2023 (1st Tuesday is quilt show hanging day)
- April 4, 2023
Other Artsy Notes
To see what else has Artsy Group been doing, enter “Artsy” in the search bar in the margin of any page of our website, and you will see a list of pages and blog posts that mention Artsy activities.